Hello everybody*waves a purple towel*
The chapters that we’re reading this week are so complex, and so full of issues and emotions that Elena and I want to discuss, so we decided that we needed to break the questions into 2 parts. Otherwise, the post on Saturday will be so long that it might seem rather daunting.
Here is part one of the questions. We will be posting part two tomorrow. On Saturday we will post our discussion in the same way. Part one will run in the morning, and part two will be posted after 12 p.m. EST
Don’t forget that we’ll also have SR’s answers to the questions that were selected this week. Those will run in the second post.
It was brought to our attention that it might be best to include a SPOILER WARNING…in case there are those of you who haven’t read the first book yet. If you haven’t read “Gabriel’s Inferno” yet, you might want to avoid reading the questions or the discussion post til you do…
Alright then…off you go…
1) At the end of chapter 33 there is a very disturbing scene involving Gabriel. What were your thoughts and feelings as you read it?
2) In chapter 35 Gabriel is having a suit made from his tailor in Florence. The tailor jokes about the suit being fine enough to be married in. Gabriel shows him the ring he’s now wearing and says, “I’m newly married,” he explained, much to the tailor’s surprise. Why do you think Gabriel said that? What does it mean? Were you surprised?
3) In chapter 35 Gabriel finds himself in the crypt of St. Francis in Assisi and something very moving happens there. Discuss…
4) In chapter 36 Julia meets with Dean Aras and Professor Martin…She’s asked and answers the questions regarding Gabriel- Whether or not he’s tried to contact or see her since the hearing. As she leaves she makes a rather pointed statement that’s directed to the both of them. What did you think of this scene? How Julia handled herself? About the statement she made to them?
5) In chapter 37 we see Gabriel becoming one of the Franciscans’ volunteers and doing acts of charity. He goes through quite the change from his previous self, all because of Julia. In fact, throughout the novel we saw Julia holding charity very dear and Gabriel admiring her generosity. Your thoughts on how kindness can affect people. Do you believe it can even change them sometimes?
6) In chapter 37 Gabriel leaves Italy and in an extremely moving scene visits Maia’s memorial. What were your thoughts and feelings as you read through this scene? At the very end Gabriel calls Paulina and says he needs to see her. What was your reaction to this phone call?
7) In chapter 39 there’s an unexpected scene where Gabriel meets Grace and Maia. What were your feelings as you read this scene? And why do you think this happened to Gabriel?
8) The kiss between Paul and Julia. Were you surprised?
That’s part one of the discussion questions…part two will post tomorrow about this same time.
See ya then
Elena and Tamie