Booking Through Thursday: Being a Reader

Booking Through Thursday

I was talking to a co-worker the other day about a book I’d read recently, and realized how very, very few people I can do that with. In my daily life, it seems like almost no-one reads anything more than a newspaper or a fashion magazine. I only have one person I can truly chat about books with … and yet, being a Capital-R-Reader, I simply can’t imagine going through life without a book constantly at hand, or shelves of them proudly displayed downstairs. I’m proud of being a person who not only reads, but who reads a lot–not just in volume but in variety. I like having an inquiring mind. I like exploring new ideas. I love following an intricately plotted story (the more layers the better). I love BEING a reader and simply can’t imagine what it’s like to go through life without being one.

Am I the only one who feels this way? That wonders at how other people can simply NOT do something that should be so essential? Who feels almost sad that so many people seem content to go through their lives without stretching their mental wings at all?

Can you imagine NOT being a Reader? How does it shape your life? Your perception of it?

NO! I cannot imagine having a life that did not include reading on a daily basis. Reading opens people up to learning about new things and ideas. I think those that read are generally better informed and more open minded as well. I would agree that it’s sad to think about people who don’t know the joy that reading brings.

How does being a Reader affect your relationship with all those folks who are looking at it from the other side and simply can’t understand how you can sit and READ all the time?

I was married to someone who couldn’t have cared less about reading, and didn’t understand my need to do it. How can you ever truly describe what it means to be able to lose yourself in a book for hours at a time? To try and explain how characters and story lines can mean so much? I’ve had both success and failure in trying to convey what reading does for me…how much richer my life is for being a reader. I guess you either get it…or you don’t.

Yep, it’s a long-winded, philosophical springboard to a ephemeral conversation … go, see what you can make of it!

15 thoughts on “Booking Through Thursday: Being a Reader

1. Clsita says:

Tamie, I am a relatively “new” reader. I think of it as my mid-life change (not crisis). My new found love started with FSOG, and I have not missed a day of reading since March 17th. I was on a long plane ride to vacation, discovered a wonderful thing. Now, all my family and friends think I am crazy… I think it is just because I never really read before. I love it. I love all the characters and authors. I feel like I have so many new friends. I can’t imagine Not doing it now. Thanks for your blogs, I enjoy them as well.

Now that I think about it, I don’t have alot of people in my life who read like I do. It’s why I am sooo happy I found this place. Like you, I read every single day. In the morning, during my commute, and at night before bed. I plan my chores and errands on my days off around reading. I haven’t always been like this, but now I can’t live any other way.

I have one person that I share my love of reading with in person, but she can’t read as much as I do. She gets it though. My DH wants to be a writer, so he likes to talk about what I’m reading, but he doesn’t have the patience to read like I do. He doesn’t seem to mind that I always have my head in a book. When we plan vacations, he knows that books are coming with me, and that I will be reading anywhere I can. He doesn’t go hungry through, because I love cooking also. LOL

3. maureen says:

My comment could be the exact duplicate of Clsita’s… I NEVER read books ( only newspapers & magazines) until Memorial Day weekend when I devoured FSOG. Now I have a nook, downloaded about 25 books and have taken many more out of the library. I have to read every day now, & my family too just looks at me and shakes their heads !
    I have about 5 books sitting on my kitchen table that are in various phases of reading… but the beauty is that I have encouraged my husband to pick up his reading habit again! My 25 year old daughter has even grabbed a couple! But they are not as obsessed as I am!!

Your blog is such a treasure to a newbie like me!! Thanks for all you do!!

• Tamie says:

I’m so glad that you’re reading every day.
      The joy of books is such a treasure.
      Thanks for your kind words about the blog. It means a great deal to me and all of us at Bookish. Xo

4. emmjaepenniman says:

I share your thoughts completely. I’ve been a bonafide reader since I was 5 and started reading (Dr. Seuss’s Green Eggs and Ham)and I honestly could’nt see myself obsessed with anything else. Reading has taught me so many beautiful and educational things. I don’t know what type of person I would be if I did’nt read…

5. Kimmie C. says:

I too, love to read and have all my life, even though when children enter your lives, it gets to be difficult. But now, mine are older, yay, I get my hobby back!! But I don’t have anyone, other than the ladies I found on facebook, that read with me. My kindle goes everywhere I go, couldn’t imagine not being able to do this. Really enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!!

6. Jen says:

Your post hit the head on the nail about how I have been feeling lately. I just LOVE to read and I don’t have people around me who understand that except for my 7 year old daughter. We don’t read the same type of books (obviously) so I have no one to discuss what I read with. That’s why I love your blog and others! Yet I still want to TALK about the books! Like Clista (above), I started to read with Fifty Shades back in May. I don’t think there has been a day since that I haven’t read. I’m up to around 150 books since then which I think is awesome! I can’t explain what reading does for me in words, but I love it. Love the stories. Love the passion. Love the quiet. Love the mystery. Love the hotties 🙂

7. I love this post.

It’s great when people don’t just like to read, but they read with a passion and addiction – their enthusiasm and commitment for reading matches the power of the words, the seduction of the stories, and the reader’s imagination is working alongside the writer’s imagination, so that they are both creating a world together.

That’s the important thing, to me – in the act of reading, a magical thing takes place, where readers and writers create together.

If I wrote a sentence like, ‘The man walked down the street,’ as you read it you would probably visualise it in your mind – and if someone asked you to stop for a moment and describe the scene in your head, you would probably say something like, ‘Well, it’s a small narrow street, it’s raining, there’s a row of houses with green doors, there’s a cat wandering between the puddles on the far side.’ And yet, all those details weren’t in the original sentence – the power of your visual imagination naturally created them, out of squiggles of light on the screen of your e-reader.

Isnt that fascinating, and exciting, how in reading we are being naturally and unconsciously creative?

Try it – next time you read an everyday sentence in a book, see how the pictures easily flood into your mind as you read the words, and marvel to yourself about how many of the details in those pictures are supplied not necessarily by the facts on the page, but are filled in by your creative mind.

With the rise of television and film, and the internet, I was worried that reading would become a dead art. But posts like yours prove that the joy of reading, the power of reading, and the power of a reader’s creativity which gives them with that joy – all these exciting and wonderful things are still alive.

• Tamie says:

Hello James…thanks so much for your kind words.
      I am definitely a visual reader…I see the story in my head as I read it, so I totally agree with what you’ve said 🙂

8. Gladys says:

Can I say when I read this post today, I smiled and said – yes! Yes, I know exactly what you mean when you say you can’t imagine not always having a book in your hands because that’s exactly how I feel! I began reading at a really young age and doing so has just always been part of who I am. I, too, feel that I find less and less people who are avid readers. I read every day…because I enjoy it, because I need it, because I crave it.

So, nope – I cannot imagine a day when I don’t read! I love to learn, to get lost in a great story, to be touched by magical words – all of it! I read every morning before starting my day, I read during lunch some days when life allows it & I end my day reading! I am extremely lucky in that I am able to share my love of reading with my best friend (who reads almost as much as I do) and with a couple of my co-workers, too.

I treasure the moments when I can settle in, grab a book (or my Nook) and let myself be engrossed by beautiful words or a captivating story or lovely characters…

9. Susi M. says:

I love being a reader! Unfortunately, my hubby isn’t much of one so I am glad that several of my colleagues are. I enjoy discussing books with my coworkers during lunch or on the days we take our students out to recess, that is our book talk time. We all have our book boyfriends and have a great time sharing.

For many reasons, I stopped reading for awhile. However, during Spring Break, my love for reading reemerged. Yes, Christian Grey helped and so did Gideon Cross.

Now, I can’t get through a whole day without reading. I read all kinds of books. I even enjoy reading cookbooks, is that strange? I bake and love to experiment with new ingredients so cookbooks are fun for me.

Your blog helps to keep my tablet on fire. I always look forward to reading your reviews. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Readers never go to bed alone. 🙂