Booking Through Thursday: Contemplation

Booking Through Thursday

So … you’ve just finished reading a book. For the sake of the discussion, we’ll say it was everything a book should be—engaging, entertaining, interesting, thought-provoking. The kind you want to gush over. The question is—do you immediately move on to your next book? Or do you take time to contemplate this writerly masterpiece and all its associated thoughts/emotions/ideas for a while first?

Most of the time I go straight to my next book…especially if it’s a series and I’m able to read them one right after the other. There have been a few times when I didn’t do that…when for some reason I just couldn’t move on to another book for a day or more. I don’t know whether I needed time to part with the characters or what it was that kept me from being able to move on right away.  That’s a real rarity for me though.

What about you?

9 thoughts on “Booking Through Thursday: Contemplation

1. gelytayz says:

I am the type who take some time before actually moving on to another story…if it’s a sequel I move on the next one immediately. A few books I get too attached that I can’t seem to part with the characters as soon as I’m done with it. A very good example is the Gabriel Series by SR, so good I re-read immediately. And why, it’s true, the second time is the sweetest.

😉
    x gel

2. Jen says:

I always immediately go from one book to the next. Sometimes I get so involved with characters, that if I don’t, I will be dreaming about them, thinking about them in the shower, etc. Some books still get under my skin so deeply that even when I’m reading a couple of books later, I still am thinking back. Those, however, are my favorite books of all!

3. puppymom73 says:

I usually go through a mourning period when I finish a great book. I’ll miss the characters and their story. Sometimes, I’ll even thumb through it again to sigh and read my favorite parts. If it was a ho hum read, I move on quickly. The last time I remember moving on quickly after a book I loved was 50 Shades of Grey. And I’m pretty sure that’s because I was so unnaturally upset at the end of that one, I had to know what happened next.

4. I’ve never been attached to a story until FSOG. I got hooked and fell for Christian Grey and his struggles. And, then came Gabriel’s Inferno/Rapture…it did something to me like no other book. I was so drawn into this story that I re-read it several times and fell head-over-heals for Gabriel. SR’s words were magical to me and I’m having withdrawal symptoms. I’m anxious for number 3 to come out. I never had this happen to me before and I wonder why.

• Maria says:

Ellie, I completely relate. I felt exactly the same way after reading 50 Shades; then came SR’s Gabriel series which grabbed a hold of me and won’t let go. SR wrote so beautifully that although I’ve read many books that I’ve adored, Gabriel & Julia have wedged themselves in my mind, heart and soul.
      Anyway, if the book is a series, I like to read the next one immediately if available. I often read one book after another. When the story and characters really move me, I like to dwell on it for a bit and reread.
      I wish I could read all day long!!

I think, for me it depends on how the book ended. If it’s a serious cliffhanger, then definitely moving on to the next book in the series. I tend to get overwhelmed easily by all of the books on my TBR list, so sometimes I need to pause and take a day to think about what I should read next. If it was an emotional ending, I like to pick something lighter to read next or maybe I’ll read a fanfic story instead. They are comforting to me, if I’m feeling more vulnerable. Very interesting topic…

Btw, The Cover Contessa posted an interview that she did with SC Andrews. I know she’s one of your favorites. 🙂 here’s the link:

6. kerbytejas says:

on to the next book especially if its a series

7. madelyn bonilla says:

I have withdrawal symptoms after I read a really good book. Like 50 shades. I practically harrased my sisters n cousins to read it. So we could discuss it. N boy did we discuss it! For months. . then I just couldn’t find anything to compare it. Nothing was good enough after. … Until Gabriel’s inferno came along.. No book has moved me quite as much as that one. Gabriel was just perfect. My number 1guy.
    I read recently Bared to you which I loved too. N the Blackstone series was great also. I’m having a really hard time finding anything after these books to catch my eye. I move pretty fast if they are not that good