Elena’s Picks: Unforgettable Fictional Couples (part 1)

When I read a book of the Romance genre, what draws me in the most is the nature of the relationship between the couple. As you all know, I read a lot of books of this genre and I’ve grown fond of some couples in such a way that it’s difficult for me to let them go. Here are some of those fictional couples that I can’t stop thinking about :

Gabriel and Julia from the Gabriel Series by Sylvain Reynard

What not to love about this couple? It’s amazing how the love between Gabriel and Julia can touch you so deeply. The shy and kind Julianne Mitchell was able to wreak havoc in Gabriel’s world, make him believe in redemption and make him feel worthy of love and forgiveness. Their story moved me in ways I wouldn’t have thought possible and I’m so happy Sylvain Reynard decided to write a third book in the series. This couple holds a special place in my heart.

Carmine and Haven from Sempre by JM Darhower

Two people with vastly different childhoods, but whose lives are all too similar. Two people who shouldn’t fall in love, but they do, under dreadful and dangerous circumstances. This couple wants to make their love work at all costs, even though everything tries to tear them apart. Their world brings them face to face with danger, lies , death and I couldn’t but gasp and tense while following the story. But one of the many things I love about their relationship is that they never give up and always hold onto hope and this repays them in the end. Definitely one of my all time favorite couples.

Ryan and Julia from The Remembrance Trilogy by Kahlen Aymes

Ryan and Julia’s love story is one of those that melt your heart. Two best friends who fall in love and decide to give their relationship a try, despite the fear of losing their special friendship. Ryan is too good for words and the way he shows his love to Julia warms your heart. He never abandons her even when things get tough… I couldn’t help but fall in love with their beautiful story.

Lucas and Jacqueline from Easy by Tammara Webber

In my opinion, one of the best love stories in a contemporary romance. Jacqueline and Lucas’s relationship conquered me not only because of how special it is, but also because of how they handle it, how they help each other heal and become stronger. Together they learn to fight against the dreadful events that life sometimes has in store and not to get dragged down by them. And when Lucas sketched Jacqueline, I thought I would combust….

Gideon and Eva from The Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day

Their relationship isn’t easy in the slightest. Two souls that want to feel loved, but that have so much baggage that they think it impossible for them to be loved. There were so many times I thought they wouldn’t make it, but they surprised every time. With their flaws, dark pasts and insecurities they want to build something real and permanent. And they both heal through their love…

Kellan and Keira from the Thoughtless Series by S C Stephens

I had so many emotions while reading Kellan and Keira’s story, that when I finished Thoughtless I felt emotionally spent. But in a good way. They took me on a roller coaster ride, full of bumpy roads but that led to an amazing finale. Kellan and Keira are soul-mates that have to be together, no matter what. I wasn’t always happy with the choices they made or with how they handled their relationship. In fact I found myself wanting to slap them more than once, but there’s no doubt that their conflicted but wonderful love story can’t leave you indifferent.

Christian and Ana from the Fifty Shades Trilogy by EL James

Some focus only on the sex that’s in this series, but to me the story between Christian and Ana is much more than sex. Christian becomes a different man thanks to Ana– with her he learns what it means to love and be loved. I believe that if we removed some of the sex, it would still be a beautiful love story between two flawed people who together experience feelings they’d never had for anyone. Christian and Ana are among my favorite couples.

Edward and Bella from the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Well, I couldn’t not mention them, could I? Edward and Bella are the first couple I’ve ever obsessed over and they’ll always be dear to my heart. Was it because I was the same age as Bella when I first read the books? Was it because it’s written in first person? Was it because I was completely enchanted by Edward’s alluring personality and his amazing soul? I don’t know. I do know, though, that Edward and Bella’s love story was the first one to capture me completely and to make me believe in true love. Their very essence tells them not to fall in love, but the feelings they develop for each other are so strong that they go against every law imposed by nature. Once you read the books, you can’t help but root for them from the very start.

Zack and Julie from Perfect by Judith McNaught.

I still get the warm fuzzies whenever I re-read passages from Perfect. Zack and Julie are another couple I couldn’t stop thinking about. Judith Mc Naught was able to create an iconic love story that made me shed happy tears. No one has ever loved Zack for who he is, until Julie, with her kind heart and capacity to forgive, breaks Zack’s barriers and makes him become a new man, full of hope and love, willing to put the past behind and look at a bright future.

Some of my favorite couples in Classic Novels :

Mr. Darcy and Elisabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Henry Tinley and Catherine from Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Mr. Rochester and Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Ann Elliot and Wentworth from Persuasion by Jane Austen

Heathcliff and Catherine from Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Now I’d love to hear what your favorite fictional couples are! Let me know in the comments 🙂

Elena

About Elena

Literature is my passion. I love reading so much that I spend countless hours in bookstores and libraries. I have a soft spot for poetry and art. I like traveling and discovering new places. I can't do without a book.

38 thoughts on “Elena’s Picks: Unforgettable Fictional Couples (part 1)

1. Keisha says:

Christian and Ana are at the very top of my list followed by Gideon and Eva. I’ve never been so taken by books as I was with the Fifty series. I’ve read the books countless times and still feel like I could pick it up and read again without ever getting tired of them.
    Loved Gideon and Eva and how they both have so much in the past between them but keep trying to find a way to make it work with them. I was a huge Twilight fan and adored Bella & Edward. They too, were the first book couple I obsessed over and I’ll never forget them!

2. puppymom73 says:

I love you guys! You make me feel so normal. 🙂 I love my couples just as much, and think about them alot. Christian and Ana are definitely in my top pairs, Gideon and Eva too. I also love Macy and Seth from Leave Me Breathless, Evan and Kelsey from Unleashed, and Joss and Brady from One Night with a Hero. Kiera and Kellan are growing on me. I just started Effortless….although, I still want to smack Kiera around a bit. (is that wrong?…I dunno. ;-))

3. maureen says:

Chritian & Ana of course top my list, as all my reading started with Fifty Shades. I also have read these books, continuously for 5 months and I could just pick them up & read again…. such a wonderful intense romance.
    My next favorite couple or “group” is Nora & Soran & Wesley from The Siren / The Prince. They (and of course Kingsley) have consumed my time and my mind! I’ve lost count of how many times my mouth has dropped open reading of their lives and exploits !

4. la bella Simonetta says:

Could not agree more. Gabriel and Julia are my favorite couple since Bella and Edward.

5. de2via says:

My favorite would definitely Caroline and Simon from Wallbanger by Alice Clayton 🙂

6. Brooke says:

Christian and Ana are my all time favorite couple that I still can’t let go of. But after reading Thoughtless and Effortless, Kellen and Kiera are coming in a close second if not tied at this point. I agree that they made me feel emotionally spent as well and at times through the series I could have smacked Kiera but I still love them. It’s funny how Christian and Ana are still my number 1 favorite yet with Kellen and Kiera I had the strongest reaction towards them and their relationship. Maybe because Fifty Shades is what started me reading the Love story Genre and since it’s my first it remains my favorite. But that may change at the end of the Trilogy with Kellen and Kiera. But I still love Gabriel and Julia as well as Gideon and Eva both because they were amazing stories.

• Elena says:

Thanks for sharing your favorites, Brooke 🙂

• Bianca says:

50 shades brought out a lot of emotions in me, also bc it was the first book of this genre that I read. But it’s so true the thoughtless series elicited the strongest reactions. I was crying and screaming, then giggling like a school girl. I have also yet to read a book that has affected me quite like the thoughtless series.

7. Clista says:

I love reading your list, and the comments. It amazes me that I am not alone in my love of reading. I started this new phase of my life on March 17th, when I started reading FSOG! I was hooked. I have so many FAVORITES, much like your lists above. I tried to keep track of my favs as I read them. It has become difficult now after so many. I still have to say my All Time Favorite, without a doubt, is Gabriel and Julia! I will be so happy when their love story continues with book 3! Thanks for your Blog!

8. Sabrina says:

I love Travis and Abby, always have to have Kellan, Keira and Christian and Ana in this category. I also agree about Lucas and Jaqueline. I have started falling in love with Cassie and Jack and Nash and Blaire. Just too many to choose from!

9. Maria says:

Gabriel & Julia, will always be my #1 favorite
    Braden & Joss (On Dublin Street)
    Jack & Grace (The Redhead Series)
    Kellan & Kiera
    Ethan & Brynne (The Blackstone Affair)
    Christian & Anastasia
    Gideon & Eva
    Caleb & Olivia (The Opportunist)
    Clay & Maggie (Find You in the Dark)
    Wesley/Nora/Soren/Kingsley (The Original Sinners Series)
    Edward & Bella
    Mr. Darcy & Miss Bennet

• Elena says:

Thanks for sharing your favorites, Maria! I have yet to read The Blackstone Affair and The Opportunist but I’m adding them to my TBR list 🙂

10. Bianca says:

I’d agree with 80% of that list, and I think Gabriel and Julia would also be on the top, with Kellan and Kiera, Christian and Ana, and I LOVED jack and Grace (from the redhead series)
    Edward and Bella had me completely obsessed, their love story was so touching and brought out so many emotions, I had severe twilight withdrawal symptoms for a least a month after I finished the series LOL

11. jaimmie says:

I agree with a lot of the ladies here. Thank u for making me feel normal. These couples help me unwind after a full work day, three kids and a husband. It is nice to read these couples.

12. Margie says:

I love this Elena!!! All my favorite couples too!!! And all my favorite classic couples as well!!! YAY for all the Jane Austen couples on this list!!! Which if you ask me are all these couples on the list because every couple is modeled after Lizzie & Darcy!!! 🙂

13. madelyn bonilla says:

Gabriel n Julia
    Ana n Christian
    Gideon n Eva
    Ethan n Brynne
    James n Bianca from In flight and mile high
    These are my faces. Gabriel n Julia are my #1!

14. Carol says:

Thank you – i love reading your list – it gives me guidance on what books to be looking for next:) I agree with so many of teh coupel you have names – Gideon and Eva are awesome but Ryan and Julia in The Rembrance Trilogy are something else – the passion , compassion and love is breathtaking- i cant wait for book 3 to be released. Caroline and Simon in Wallbanger were interesting – enough to make me read teh story again immediately and i have just finished Indelible Love and Indelible Love-Jakes Story by DW Cee and OMG – Emily Logan and Jake Reid – perfect – absolutely stole my heart – worth a read ladies

15. beth says:

My all time fave…Jamie and Claire-Outlander series. And Nathaniel and Elizabeth-The Wilderness Series. And all the couples from Paula Quinn’s Highlander series?
    I love your faves as well! Thanks for the new finds too.

16. Paula says:

Favorite all-time couple is Meredith and Matt from Paradise by Judith McNaught.

17. Love your selections! I haven’t had a chance to read about all of the couples yet, but they have all been moved to my TBR pile now!

Great site!

-Bec
    Bec’s Book Blog

18. xpreadmywings says:

Oh dear me! Edward and Bella forever!!!! And now…Jamie and Claire *sighs* Outlander follows closely! I have never get so involved with 2 characters like these 2 couples and I admit I read a lot of books after all…I’m 6.5! LOL Thx Elena for a precious post.