18 and Over: The Deadly Cliffhanger

Question of the Week: Cliffhangers. Love them, hate them, want to commit bookicide afterwards?

I wondered if this topic would ever arise…I don’t remember if I’ve ever shared my thoughts on cliffhangers before, so diving in…

Let’s start out by clarifying that there are different levels of cliffhangers, and that being said…my reaction is different based on what type of cliffhanger it is.

Overall, I’m not really fond of cliffhangers…the bigger the cliffhanger…the more I dislike it. If a story is really good on it’s own I don’t understand why you want to leave your audience in utter agony for characters they’ve come to love.

I don’t mind the smaller cliffies that let you know there is danger or something unsettling that will happen in the next book, but I don’t want to feel as if I’ve just been emotionally gutted and then have to wait months or even years for the next book in the series to be published.

What about you?!? Love ’em, hate ’em or want to commit bookicide when you get one?

10 thoughts on “18 and Over: The Deadly Cliffhanger

1. Joanne Christenson says:

I do not like them…at all. If I know that there will be more than 1 book…I steer away from it until they are all out.

2. LCL says:

I’m not a fan of cliffhangers. If a book is apart of a series where each book is about the same couple, I’ll wait until the series is complete to even start. I am not a patient person AT ALL LOL. I have so many books I’m waiting to read for that very reason..oh well, it’s a good thing there are hundreds of books that are complete or standalones!!

• Janet says:

I feel the same way, LCL. If there is going to be a cliffhanger, I want all the books in the series published so I can jump right in to the next book.

• Tamie says:

I know a lot of readers who feel the same way. They won’t begin a series til it’s complete.
      I keep saying I won’t start another incomplete series and then I do. LOL!

3. Andi Dean says:

I am so with you. I’m just not a huge angst fan and cliffhangers (especially big ones) are so much angst. I don’t mind as bad when the next book is redily available.

4. I hate them !!! They make you buy the next book and more times then not you have to wait so long for it !!! If they are going to end the book in a cliffhanger they need to have the other book right there !! What’s even worst is the next books are all on e-books !! Like the books ” The Arrangement By: H.M. Ward ” . The first two are in books form then the next six books are e-books !!! And the end of #2 is ” he turns and walks out the door ” WTF !!!! And most of the time when #2 or 3 come out I just don’t care any more !! I have moved on to another man (book)!!!

5. Andrea says:

I don’t mind them if they are subtle…I have been known to throw a book across the room when I came to the end of it and it just stopped {that was pre-nook 🙂 }if the story and the characters are wonderfully written then I don’t need a big suspenseful cliffhanger to make me excited or wanting for the next book, the characters I’ve grown to love will do that by themselves.

6. I hate them. I also don’t like finding out there is more than one book when I’ve started reading. I like books one after the other. Lol

7. Grace H, Logan says:

There is a current cliff hanger series made into a tv series, will the seasons on telly finish before the book is completed, I hope not….I really really dislike cliffhangers and like Janet and LCL wont buy the books until the series is finished….