Armchair BEA 2013: From Kid Lit to Young Adult

Our final genre focuses on the younger crowd:  children’s picture books and young adult literature and everything in between.

What are the top 5 (or more) books that every child should have on his shelf?

If you are an adult who reads YA, why do you keep going back for more?

Top 5 books every child should have:

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier

a few others that would also be on my list as a parent:

WoW! I forgot how many great children’s books there really are …I could go on for so much longer, but I think that’s a really nice list.

Moving on:  If you are an adult who reads YA, why do you keep going back for more?

There are many great young adult books out there…that is why I continue to read them as an adult. A great book is a great book no matter what your age is…a few of my personal faves?

The Twilight series (although I have always thought this didn’t really belong in the YA category) , The Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games trilogy, The Mortal Instruments trilogy, The Lux series (or anything written by  Jennifer L. Armentrout)

are among my recommendations in the YA category.

What about you? What books do you think are absolute must reads for children?

Do you still read YA as an adult? What are your favorites?

8 thoughts on “Armchair BEA 2013: From Kid Lit to Young Adult

1. geokrusch says:

My son has 8 of the 10 books listed above. He’s 8 and still loves to read Where the Wild Things Are and The Giving Tree. Some of our other favorites are any of the SkippyJon Jones books. A siamese cat that imagines he’s a Chihuahua is always entertaining. 😉

2. Candie says:

Great post! For our grandson’s birthday (he just turned 7), we asked family to send him a copy of their favorite books from their childhood. It was wonderful!

3. Candie says:

C.S. Lewis maintained, and I agree, that great literature could not be classified as “children” or “adult” – it’s just great literature!

4. Harry Potter is an absolute favorite! 🙂

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

5. ablightedone says:

Love so many books every child should have! I still read YA as an adult! I have too many faves to mention but I love THG, and TMI too!

6. I completely agree with you on Goodnight Moon! (Not that I don’t agree with the others, I just haven’t read them.) I loved GM so much- I remember begging my parents to read it. My brother was bigger on The Little Engine That Could. And my blog is mainly YA, so I love all of the series you mentioned! Being in my late 20’s, I love (and prefer!) reading YA books!

7. Jessica says:

Ah you listed Goodnight Moon! Plus you included a few I forgot to include: Curious George and The Velveteen Rabbit. I don’t read much YA, but once in a blue moon, I pick one up. I’m dying to read the Lux series!

Jess @ Literary, etc.

8. ki pha says:

Ahh the children’s book~ There are so many of them that you just brought back that I totally forgot about. I super enjoyed: THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR, BROWN BEAR BROWN BEAR WHAT DO YOU SEE, CORDUROY,CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM, RAINBOW FISH….etc 🙂