How to Tell if You’re Reading a Really Great Book…or Not…

Wait! What?!? Don’t think I didn’t see several of you doing an epic eye roll, or that I didn’t hear some of you say…”Well duh, Tamie…I know when I’m reading a great book or not.” Hmmm…do you really?!?

Here’s how I know when I’m reading a really great book…

1) I cease to be aware of my surroundings. This has resulted in some rather embarrassing moments…inappropriate laughter in places like the Dr.’s office, on public transportation…you get the drift. Extreme lateness to important appointments because I just had to read ONE MORE PAGE, and then another, and holy crap! the next thing I know an hour has passed. Rude behavior on my part by totally ignoring those around me…even when asked a direct question, or worse…answering a question wrongly because I honestly wasn’t paying attention, but didn’t want said asker of the q to realize that…which they totally did anyway because my answer had absolutely nothing to do with what they asked.

2) I start talking like the characters do…first in my head…then out loud. The in my head part is ok, but when I start talking like a badass biker type dood out loud??? Well… then I have to try to cover myself or explain it, and that can be pretty tricky. Family members and a few good friends have been known to whisper things like…”You’re talking weird…quit it.” I’ve also been on the receiving end of some well placed elbow nudges and arm squeezes too.

3) I seem to lose all of my senses… except sight if I’m reading or hearing if I’m listening to a book. I also tend to forget to eat which isn’t necessarily a bad thing…I could stand to lose a few pounds anyways, but it’s probably not really healthy, and eventually I’m feeling so starved that I then overeat or eat really junky stuff.

4) I end up putting off super important things so I can keep reading…like blogging, paying bills, doing laundry…wait a minute…lemme go throw in a load super quick…ok…I’m back… no really…I just started a load of laundry.

5) If it was a book that was recommended to me I start thinking things like…I FLOVE so and so…I wish I could marry so and so for rec’ing me this awesome book, but they’re a girl…and I like guys, so that won’t really work. Hmmm…maybe I could bake them a batch of my super yummy brownies…O…but they’re really best when they’re fresh and still warm…OK, OK…I’ll tweet them or email them and send them tons of hugs…yeah that works.

Ok…let’s look at ways I can tell if I’m not reading a great book…

1) I fall asleep or wish I could fall asleep even tho I was just wide awake and feeling like a ball of energy before I started reading said book.

2) I look down at the % on my Kindle or the page # of the book thinking for sure I’m almost done and instead realize I’m only at 9% or on page 20. YIKES! Really?!?

3) I start thinking unkind thoughts about the person who recommended the book to me in the first place…things like…WTF…so and so must’ve been high or out of their mind when they read this one. Sometimes I think kinder thoughts like…O…that silly so and so is trying to mess with me. Then I realize that we all won’t have the same reaction to the same books and I think…well bless their heart for trying to spread the word on a book they loved!

4) My bookmark gets a super good workout…because I keep putting it in and out…because I keep pausing…because it’s not holding my attention…AT ALL!

5) I find excuses to stop reading…things like…I bet Charlie (my dog) is really thirsty this very second, and then I realize I just refilled his bowl like 5 times in the past 10 minutes…which means he probably needs to go for a walk…for the 3rd time in an hour…because I keep refilling his water bowl.

Clearly some of those are tongue in cheek…kind of…sort of…not really… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now tell me how you know when you’re reading a great book…or not.

P.S. Meet Charlie

25 thoughts on “How to Tell if You’re Reading a Really Great Book…or Not…

1. Shay (@Slim_Shaydy_) says:

LMFAO! Yes, I sooo glad I’m not alone. I’m currently reading the This Man series and Its taking me forever to get thru it. I find myself super speed reading or skimming and reading just them talking. Which I’m doing now.
    On my nook I’ve a “books I fucking hate” shelf. Yes, that is the shelf’s name and these books are going there. On page 158 and there’s over 500. Lord help me.

• Tamie says:

That would be a perfect example cuz I flew through those books and flove them ๐Ÿ™‚

• Shay (@Slim_Shaydy_) says:

Its not that bad. The worse books I read was The Fever series. A waste of my money. Wish I could’ve gotten my money back. And The Daughter Of Fortune from Oprahs book club years ago. Hated the way it ended. I would have burned but it was my cousins book.

• katiebirdie says:

Thank God, I’m not alone! I did not like the main characters in those books, but did manage to read the first two in the series. Not a fan of Jesse at all. *fist bump*

• Shay (@Slim_Shaydy_) says:

Im forcing myself to finish the series. Even if its a crapy book, I must finish it. I want to like them si I read hoping they get better.

• Kyra Hamilton says:

That’s the way I felt about Real. It took over a week to finish that book and I skimmed a LOT! Didn’t bother with the sequel.

I know I’m reading a great book, when I dream about the characters. Also, if I’m thinking about the characters when I’m not reading. I’ve lost many hours to a great book, and try not to feel too guilty about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Surprisingly, I don’t think about who recd. the book to me, but I probably should write some thank you notes. LOL Like you, if I read a book that I didn’t care for, I don’t blame the person who recd. it, because to each his own, right?

3. Karen Cundy says:

I lose all sense of hearing even if my kids are begging for food. I ask my husband to call me kitten or pigeon or little ghost or little bird or angel or hope or cinderella…….

4. Kyra Hamilton says:

I’m reading a good book when I start reading at night and then look up a few minutes later and realize the sun is coming up.

• Shay (@Slim_Shaydy_) says:

Done that many times. I read Water for Elephants in 24 hours. I DID NOT SLEEP OR EAT FOR 24 HOURS! Loved it. No one ate that day. Sad but true.

Your Charlie is sooo cute!! I need to send you a pic of my Raisin. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Chris says:

I can so relate. I am reading Into the Deep by Samantha Young and like her other books I cannot put them down. This Man I started to read on my iPad and then stopped I read the ending at Barnes and Noble. Don’t think I will continue on.

7. Haha!!! I love this blog:-) okay this post is true!!! Lol I have four kiddies and husband and they All know when mommies reading a book because they get to eat and do whatever they want good post!!!

8. So many truths! This week I was so into the book I was reading that I planned meals around it. Minimal prep + minimal clean-up = more reading time. Also = crappy meals, but I don’t even care. Just leave me alone with my book!

Also, if I can’t stop thinking about it when I’m not reading it — that’s a big one for me. But it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a great book; it just means that something about it really struck a chord with me. Like, This Man for me was one of those books that I read obsessively — basically our household quit functioning for two days — but clearly it’s not for everyone, since it keeps coming up, and I can totally understand why.

Lila

9. Jennifer Gallagher says:

I just delete a book I cannot get into… and think of what I could have spent my money on..I detest back door sex. paid overยฃ3.50 and after about the 4th page I thought oh hell why did I not check this out.. a friend had said you have to read it is awesome..I have to admit that Jessie Ward from the this man series I got into big style.. even won a phone cover with the this man book on it.. What is really funny about all the books I now love until a year ago I had never read a romance or contemporary romance. then a friend sent me Candy store in a link for a freebie.. that was me hooked.. I can read a book a day.. as long as Mr kindle holds out I will be fine !!!!

• Jennifer I am exactly the same. I only ever read classics or the kind of novel that wins The Booker Prize. I read FSOG and found it cringeworthy but there was something about the characters. I looked for something similar and bingo I was hooked. I have done 92 books since April. Hi my name is Karen and I am an addict!

• Tamie says:

Until about 3 years ago I too didn’t read romance except very rarely. I read tons of mystery and some paranormal. Now?!? Well, I’d say I read about 90% or higher in the romance genre.

10. Tina says:

I have a book on my GR “currently reading” shelf, for about 7 months. I usually know when I’m 25% into the book. But If I love it, I’m hooked after the first chapter. This Man trilogy kept me an entire weekend in the house. I read day and night, ended up looking like hell Monday when i got to work lol. I forget to eat, sleep, the kids, my hubby (well if the book is too hot, I suddenly remember him haha), my life …everything lol. *whispering* I even called in sick one time.
    Great post Tamie, thanks for reassuring me I’m not losing my mind LOL ๐Ÿ™‚ โค

11. Jenny Flohre says:

I can always tell when I’m trying to sneak in extra reading time at work. I’ve been known to go to my kindle app and download the book on my work computer so it looks like I’m working on a document, also the kindle app on my phone gets a workout as I take extra potty breaks because I just can’t stop reading. Not actually pottying, it’s just quiet and people don’t find me. Gosh, I better hope my boss doesn’t follow this blog huh? ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ™‰