Wait! What?!? Don’t think I didn’t see several of you doing an epic eye roll, or that I didn’t hear some of you say…”Well duh, Tamie…I know when I’m reading a great book or not.” Hmmm…do you really?!?
Here’s how I know when I’m reading a really great book…
1) I cease to be aware of my surroundings. This has resulted in some rather embarrassing moments…inappropriate laughter in places like the Dr.’s office, on public transportation…you get the drift. Extreme lateness to important appointments because I just had to read ONE MORE PAGE, and then another, and holy crap! the next thing I know an hour has passed. Rude behavior on my part by totally ignoring those around me…even when asked a direct question, or worse…answering a question wrongly because I honestly wasn’t paying attention, but didn’t want said asker of the q to realize that…which they totally did anyway because my answer had absolutely nothing to do with what they asked.
2) I start talking like the characters do…first in my head…then out loud. The in my head part is ok, but when I start talking like a badass biker type dood out loud??? Well… then I have to try to cover myself or explain it, and that can be pretty tricky. Family members and a few good friends have been known to whisper things like…”You’re talking weird…quit it.” I’ve also been on the receiving end of some well placed elbow nudges and arm squeezes too.
3) I seem to lose all of my senses… except sight if I’m reading or hearing if I’m listening to a book. I also tend to forget to eat which isn’t necessarily a bad thing…I could stand to lose a few pounds anyways, but it’s probably not really healthy, and eventually I’m feeling so starved that I then overeat or eat really junky stuff.
4) I end up putting off super important things so I can keep reading…like blogging, paying bills, doing laundry…wait a minute…lemme go throw in a load super quick…ok…I’m back… no really…I just started a load of laundry.
5) If it was a book that was recommended to me I start thinking things like…I FLOVE so and so…I wish I could marry so and so for rec’ing me this awesome book, but they’re a girl…and I like guys, so that won’t really work. Hmmm…maybe I could bake them a batch of my super yummy brownies…O…but they’re really best when they’re fresh and still warm…OK, OK…I’ll tweet them or email them and send them tons of hugs…yeah that works.
Ok…let’s look at ways I can tell if I’m not reading a great book…
1) I fall asleep or wish I could fall asleep even tho I was just wide awake and feeling like a ball of energy before I started reading said book.
2) I look down at the % on my Kindle or the page # of the book thinking for sure I’m almost done and instead realize I’m only at 9% or on page 20. YIKES! Really?!?
3) I start thinking unkind thoughts about the person who recommended the book to me in the first place…things like…WTF…so and so must’ve been high or out of their mind when they read this one. Sometimes I think kinder thoughts like…O…that silly so and so is trying to mess with me. Then I realize that we all won’t have the same reaction to the same books and I think…well bless their heart for trying to spread the word on a book they loved!
4) My bookmark gets a super good workout…because I keep putting it in and out…because I keep pausing…because it’s not holding my attention…AT ALL!
5) I find excuses to stop reading…things like…I bet Charlie (my dog) is really thirsty this very second, and then I realize I just refilled his bowl like 5 times in the past 10 minutes…which means he probably needs to go for a walk…for the 3rd time in an hour…because I keep refilling his water bowl.
Clearly some of those are tongue in cheek…kind of…sort of…not really… 😉
Now tell me how you know when you’re reading a great book…or not.
P.S. Meet Charlie