Tina’s Books and Tunes

image

Is there anyone that can honestly say that doesn’t like at least one music genre? Certainly not me :).  I love them all! From classics (Bach is a favourite) to – I know you’re going to smile and shake your head – rap and hip hop (Eminem). Music combined with my passion for books – I’m in pure heaven. This is why, the new girl has decided to bring you a regular post on music in books.

1419834_759005177446812_1289363064_nOver the last year, I read tons of books, and I’m sure many of you agree with me when I say, I can’t believe how many amazing artists I’ve (re) discovered. The first book that made me go on YouTube, was Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James. I was obsessed to find and match a song with a scene. It stunned me how much of a difference that made – in feeling the words and what the author tried to convey and also in getting the character’s emotions.

Did you ever try it? If you did, which book was your “first”?

I’m really looking forward to combining some of my favorite books with my personal playlist.

Thanks everyone!
Hugs,
Tina

A huge thank you to our Gel for doing the fantabulous banner!!

25 thoughts on “Tina’s Books and Tunes

When I was reading the Edge of Never, I actually took the time to play Barton Hollow, while reading the scene with Andrew and Camryn singing, the first time. I loved the song before reading, but now I will always think of this book when it comes up on my playlist. 🙂

• Tina says:

The Edge of Never is on my TBR list, can’t wait to read it! The same thing happens to me with a bunch of songs, one of them being Massive Attack. Thanks Katie 🙂

2. kim says:

I did the same thing with FSOG and made a playlist that I ADORE! I love when books connect to real music that can be downloaded and listened to and playlisted. In fact, most of my ipod is playlists based on books/characters. Brings back good reading memories

• Tina says:

Hi Kim, did you know there is a FSOG Classical Album that you can buy online? I agree with you, I love when a song from a certain book comes on and takes me right back to the story and its characters.

• kim says:

Hi Tina,
        No, I didn’t realize there was an actual FSOG classical album. I will have to check that out. My favorite “song” that I have from that series is the ringtone on my phone, “Try” by Nellie Furtado. So, every time my phone rings I have a little Christian memory!

• Tina says:

That’s a great idea, I love Nelly too. I went to her concert a few months ago, she was amazing!!

3. marijee4 says:

Or…Ron Pope and Poughkeepsie…A Drop in the Ocean..,

4. The Hunter says:

What a great idea. I personally never thought to go to youtube and listen to the actual song. Thanks for the insight. I’m sure it will make reading that much more pleasurable.

5. Kristi says:

I go on Spotify and make a playlist with each book. The shower scene with Harper and chase while listening to water and wine just put it to a whole other level.

6. KristinePR says:

Real by Katy Evans…”Iris”…*sigh*

7. Jenny Flohre says:

My first was 50 shades. I made they playlist and loved it. I usually check out the songs from the books, but I don’t always make playlists. I probably could have made playlists from REAL, but haven’t yet, although I checked Iris out after I read about it over and over. My current playlist that I’m working on is the Rock Chick series. Luckily, I already had alot of it, but there are many more I’m adding to the iPod.

• Tina says:

*sigh* I have so many books on my TBR list, and not too much time to read. Thanks for the recommendation. I don’t always make playlists either, but for a book like Real or Gabriel’s Inferno I can’t help myself lol.

8. Susi says:

I made the playlist for FSOG too, I download the songs I read about in books all of the time. I cannot listen to “Iris” without thinking of Remy. Whenever I hear, “Sex is on Fire”, I am transported back to CG too.
    Love this post. 🙂

9. Tina says:

Thanks so much Susi, I’m very excited about it. 🙂
    it looks like Iris had a great impact on readers. I think it was the perfect choice for Real, everyone connected with it. And of course, not to mention Kings of Lions. I melt every time I hear them.

10. Sheila says:

Great post Tina. I love all music. In FSOG I was struck by the use of Tallis ‘Spem in Allium’ – it’s one of my favourite pieces. In Gabriel’s Rapture, the ‘Alleluia’ is another (check out Diana Damrau’s version on YT) As for modern music, let’s say that Jason Mraz’s ‘I won’t give up’ sums up the Gabriel series (and the official YT vid is very Professor-esque)

Hugs