Musing Mondays: Sex words that ARE NOT SEXY!!!

Musing Mondays is hosted by Should Be Reading

One of the prompts is: Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up?

I’m going to to do a little bit of ranting musing about…unsexy words…

Have you ever been reading a book…enjoying it even, and then a steamy love scene begins. You begin to feel that excitement, the tingles…you know…the feelings you should be feeling when reading heat, and then…the author goes and uses a word that isn’t even remotely sexy, and suddenly it’s like someone just poured a bucket of ice water all over you. It takes you out of the moment as you stare in disbelief at the word, blinking rapidly.

I could probably list several such offending words for you if you’d like…

How about?

Labia, slick folds or channel, CORE, member (even when it’s a throbbing one), vulva, bulbous,Β milking,Β moist mound (or any kind of mound really), spunk, manhood, beaver, plumped, love button, pre-ejaculate, cream …and just for good measure can I say that using the term wanton…as in…he made me feel so wanton…isn’t a good thing either…have any of you ever once thought that?!? EVER?!?

I’ve shared some of mine so now it’s time for a little reciprocity…hit me with words that ruin the mood and totally turn you off.

If you’re especially good I might share words that I DO think are sexy… sometime πŸ˜‰

27 thoughts on “Musing Mondays: Sex words that ARE NOT SEXY!!!

1. Debi says:

Cunt, moist ANYTHING, muff.

• Tamie says:

I’m actually ok with cunt as long as it’s used by someone like…Gideon Cross, AND as long as a few pussy’s or kitty’s are used as well πŸ˜‰

2. This made me laugh because unless it’s an ingenious word, you’re right and the ones you previously mentioned, pull you from the high and leave you like “what just happened?” Lol

Great post ladies! As usual πŸ˜‰

3. starchaser8808 says:

I agree with you and also HATE underpants. Adults don’t wear underpants, kids do. lol

4. tracie podger says:

I hate the word sex as being used for part the female body! Sex is an act not part of my anatomy

5. Think you hit them all. I hate it when that happens drives me nuts. The only other one I can think of is not really the use of a sexy word but the use of the word f@*k ALL the time. Make love once in a while don’t just f@*k each other all the time!

6. A “twitching cock” always gets to me…I mean I could be reading something really emotional and then a cock twitches and that’s it…fantasy OVER!!! LOL

7. Anna says:

I don’t care for moist or manhood. I was recently reading a rocker romance, and there was a scene that was supposed to be all wild and sexy and then she was “caressing his manhood” and it brought me right out of the story and into “what the hell?” territory.

8. Lisa says:

tracie, sex is part of your anatomy. That is how we know who is a girl and who is a boy. Like in paperwork one might be asked their sex–male or female. lol

9. Ana DirtyDraco says:

Absolutely. A bad sounding word (or ugly word) can destroy a scene and a good disposition towards a book. I hate: tears of semen, precum. I love: “make love ” but is used less and less and the word “fuck”, ever more. I love too “lick” , sounds good for me πŸ™‚

10. jmollytwilight says:

Beside the C word (for her) I hate ‘box’. I just don’t find it an attractive image at all. Who came up with that? How are female parts anything like a box? I have a picture of something square with flaps that need tucking in or taping together and I can just see it trying to contain the masculine part (Can you see my sense of humor taking over?). Seriously, I start thinking about how to box up his junk so it can be safely transported.

• Tamie says:

*Snorting* Yup…I see nothing sexy about a box being used as a descriptor. This makes me wish I had included some visuals…maybe if I do a part 2 I will πŸ™‚

11. shay @slim_shaydy_ says:

“Moist” good lord! Are we baking a cake here.
    “juices”, I cringe every damn time I read that!
    “Dick” very unsexy

12. Jenny Flohre says:

I am cracking up! These are great. I personally can’t stand “apex” as the female anatomy, or any penis that’s about to “tear” or “split open like a grape” it’s so hard. Really?

• jmollytwilight says:

Eww, splitting/bursting penises? Since when is that sexy? *horrified* Let’s talk about nipples hard as pebbles that could cut glass.

13. Twat sends me over the edge..:to refer to a woman’s vagina as a “twat”

14. Karen says:

Lave, maked me want barf.