Throwback Thursday: The Fifty Shades Series by E. L. James

Whoa! It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been almost 3 years since I first read Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James for the very first time. But, I double checked and it really has been…

I fell in love with both the story and Christian Grey immediately. I hadn’t ever really read a book quite like it before…romance and kink I mean. Some people choose to focus on the BDSM aspects of it, but for me it was always about the love story between Christian and Ana. It’s also the story of a damaged man who chooses a lifestyle of control because his childhood had been so out of his control. Then he meets Ana…she’s someone who captivates him from the first time they meet. She’s different from any of the other women he’s been involved with…in a big way, and so the relationship begins.

One of the things I love best about the way E.L. wrote the story is that the relationship builds over the course of the three books. Christian doesn’t suddenly change into a “vanilla” type of guy. He’s not suddenly undamaged. He grows and matures emotionally slowly, and watching that growth bit by bit was completely satisfying.

I’m not gonna lie…I loved the sex too 😉

I’ve done many, many rereads since then, and although I have favorite parts from each book…if I were forced to pick my favorite it would be book two…Fifty Shades Darker. Anyways, if you’re one of the 2 people left on earth that haven’t read it yet you should give it a try. I’m excited for the movie next year and at some point close to it’s debut in the cinema I’ll probably do another reread. These books, this author, and of course Christian Grey will forever own a special place in my heart.

9 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday: The Fifty Shades Series by E. L. James

1. Deborah Camp says:

I couldn’t agree more! These books inspired my to write my new book “Through His Eyes.” I love Christian and his slow transformation. All three books were winners for me. Can hardly wait for the movie! I’ve read these books several times and I’ve listened to them on Audible. The Audible versions are simply terrific!

2. April Wood says:

I think I am the only woman on EARTH who hasn’t read this series! Uggh, I really need to get on with it!

3. Nickie Adler says:

I totally agree with you. I have read each one of these wonderful books 4 times. I love them. I read about 4 books a week but these are my go to books of a great love story. Book 2 is also my favorite. Can’t wait for the movie!

4. Pam Campbellbigaple says:

What a beautiful story it was,then and now. 🙂

5. mothergolf says:

I agree, its a beautiful love story about a damaged man who lives in a dark world, go with him as he begins his journey into the light with the help of a innocent girl…..I was so angry when I heard Dr. Drew slam the book, and he hadn’t even read the whole thing…..all they focus on is the BDSM aspect of the story….which really I’ve read worse…..

6. Deborah Camp says:

It’s hard to do better than a damaged, misunderstood, hunky hero, right? And I thought the BDSM stuff was fascinating. They’re the only ones I’ve read that dealt with it as child abuse, which I thought was fascinating and brave of the author! You would think someone like Dr. Drew would get behind it instead of slamming it! The way that Christian couldn’t see for the longest time that he’d been abused, taken advantage of by an adult, was very well done.