Thoughtful Thursday…

How much of a series complete-ist are you? Do you read all the novellas? Do you read all of the books within your favorite series’ universe?

I’m a huge fan of book series, and as much as I hate waiting on the next book to be published I don’t wait for a series to be complete before beginning it. Once I’ve started a series I want to read everything within it…provided of course that I love the first book. Yes, that includes novellas. And if the author releases an outtake or deleted scene then I’ll read those as well.

What about you? Do you love series or would you rather read stand alone books? Do you read them as they’re published or wait til they’re complete?

9 thoughts on “Thoughtful Thursday…

1. Gretchen says:

I love a good series as well and I think I’m a combination of both waiting and reading right away. I am always thrilled when I find a series late because then I have plenty to catch up on. With others, I get excited and read as I go. If I love it, I will read the novellas as well (and anything I can get my hands on). I think the only series I am waiting on the final book for is the Crossfire series… no idea why, I figure I have plenty else to read while I wait. 🙂

2. edwardsvamptramp69 says:

I love series and I love stand alones. If it’s a series, I’ll read them as soon as they are written. I won’t wait until it’s complete. So……….I go both ways.;) In reading, that is! Get your mind out of the gutter…………….well, THIS gutter. As for the book gutter,we all love to wallow in that!

Happy Thursday!

Paula

3. Mary Jo Toth says:

I love a good series but I have to admit that I now wait for the entire series to be released, well, most of the time. Part of that is there is so much great stuff to read, I’m afraid I will forget too much before the next book is released. The other part is I hate hanging off cliffs if I can avoid it. It’s always hard to know when to start and when to wait. The one amazing thing is there is so many amazing books to choose from.

• Tamie says:

Yeah, I get what you mean. It’s very hard waiting on the next book especially if it’s a longggggggggggg ways away.
      True, there are always great books out there waiting for us to discover them.

4. Jen S. says:

Great question! I read both stand alone books and series books. I will read a series even if I know it’s not complete. I am a bit impatient and some sequels are harder to wait for than others. I’ve been pleasantly surprised to have what was a stand alone turn into a series (like Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, or Easy by Tammara Webber). I’ve also had to go back and read the earlier books in a series if too much time has lapsed (like The Breathing Series, or Love Me with Lies by Tarryn Fisher). And I have also experienced a series, or characters, getting old (like The Marked Men by Jay Crownover). I have them on my “to be read” list but need to let some significant time go by before I can read any more because they all are starting to sound the same. I was a big Shatter Me fan but got into other books while waiting for sequels, so I will have to devote a big chunk of time to re-read (or skim) the first few books before reading the final book. And there have been times I’ve just picked a book on a whim to find out there are others in the series.

Liked by 1 person

• Tamie says:

Yep…I was very pleasantly surprised by the extra books you mentioned.
      So far, I haven’t had the problem of a character “getting old”, that would definitely suck!!!

5. The majority of the books that I read are series. I like them because you get to know the characters so well that they almost feel like extended family or friends! Theye are a lot of series’ characters that I’d love to
    hang out with, but if I like the series I will read every book, novella, or little extra scenes that the author emails. I don’t want to miss any part of their “lives”! Lol

Sometimes with stand alone books, I’m a little sad when I finish it because I would like to know what happens afterwards or I wonder about some of the secondary characters.

As far as do I wait to read a series until it is finished or do I read them as soon as they are released, that all depends. If a book grabs me, I’ll read it. But normally, if it’s going to be 3 or so books that are released pretty close together like Deborah Bladon’s books, I wait until they’re finished and then read them together. (Btw, I LOVE her books!) But I do have some favorite authors that I read whatever they release, whenever they release it. Except Crossfire series, I’m waiting until the last book releases. I read Bared to You when it first came out but those books are releasing waaaay too far apart, so I may as well wait until they’re all released. I’m going to have to reread it anyways because I can’t remember the details well enough now.

I first started reading books in March ’12 with the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy, then Bared To You and Maya Banks’ Sweet Series. After all those, I was hooked and a complete book whore! So far I’ve read almost 400 books and if a new book releases from a series I’ve read, I’ll read it. I have a massive TBR list, so starting a series from the beginning doesn’t happen unless I get a recommendation from a friend.

Good question! It was definitely a Thoughtful Thursday for me! Lol 😆