Tell Me Something Tuesday with Elena: Listening to Audiobooks…

Tell Me Something Tuesday

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post hosted by Rainy Day Ramblings. This week’s topic:

Audiobooks: Do you listen to them? Why or why not?

Oh yes, I do listen to audiobooks. I love them!!!

Usually I buy the audio versions of my favorite books, because I love having those stories read aloud. I believe we get the feeling of how these books are supposed to be read, and it’s as though the dialogues of our favorite characters became real, as if those very characters came alive. Of course, the key factor here is the narrator’s voice and his/her skill at reading the book. If the narrator is good, then the book becomes even better than it already is. If not, then the audiobook could kill some of the passion we have for that story. So the narrator is extremely important. Thankfully, I can’t complain so far. The audiobooks I own are all read by amazing narrators, and that made me love the books even more.

Another reason why I love audiobooks is because I can multitask. Sometimes, I just don’t have the time to sit comfortably on my couch and read, having so many things to do in a day. So I put on my earbuds, click play on my ipod and let myself be absorbed by the narrative, and this allows me to carry out other engagements without having to renounce the pleasure of a good book’s company 😉

What about you? Do you listen to audiobooks?

🙂

-Elena

About Elena

Literature is my passion. I love reading so much that I spend countless hours in bookstores and libraries. I have a soft spot for poetry and art. I like traveling and discovering new places. I can't do without a book.

17 thoughts on “Tell Me Something Tuesday with Elena: Listening to Audiobooks…

1. Keisha says:

I’ve recently started to get into audiobooks and have enjoyed the ones I’ve chosen so far. I agree with all you said and for me it does brings the books/characters to life if narrated correctly. I still prefer reading to an audiobook, but it’s great to have as an addition if like you said, you have so much going on it does makes easier to listen too. I’ve only downloaded a few of my absolute favorite books so far, but I plan on looking for more of my faves and giving them an audio listen 🙂

2. Laura Wilk says:

My husband is the one that listens to audiobooks, and this past christmas, I was so busy I didn’t have time to just sit down and read the many books that were on my TBR list. So, I decided to try the audio version and I absolutely love them. The first one I listened to was Captivated by you, by Sylvia Day and OMG ladies, the man’s voice on this audio book is amazing, so SEXY!! Totally made the book that much more interesting. I am hooked. Love listening to audio books and highly recommend them. I also started listening to the Harry Potter books read by Jim Dale and let me tell you, it is a whole different experience listening to someone read it to you. Jim Dale is amazing and if you like the harry potter books, try them on audio. Unbelievable.

• Elena says:

Thanks for the audio recommendation, Laura! I love the Harry Potter series, but I have yet to hear the audio version. Now that you told me that it’s good, I’m going to purchase it for sure 🙂

• JMV says:

I started with Jim Dale so many years ago too! I love to listen to Kate Rudd in anything she reads. Right now it’s T. Ragan Msytrey Series.

3. lawpatz1 says:

I agree with everything you’ve said. I love audiobooks. I usually read along, but sometimes my eyes get tired and it’s great that I can put the book/Kindle down and close my eyes and listen, it’s like watching a movie. So far I have not been disappointed with the audiobooks I have purchased, and I have quite a few. I think it’s a great thing, and at least through Amazon if you purchase the book a lot of the times you can get the audio at a discount price. Great deal!

• Elena says:

That’s true! I’m very glad to see that some booksellers such as Amazon offer a discount for the audio versions of those books that you purchase. That’s a great thing for all of us book and audio lovers 😉 Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject, lawpatz 🙂

4. mothergolf says:

I have all the 50 books, and Poughkeepsie, Sylvain Reynards books, and Twilight, all the books, as well as a few by Christina Lauren and the Outlander series. I also enjoy them . I will all of the Poughkeepsie books were available in the audio version.

5. Stacia says:

I also listen to audio books, especially great on a long road trip! My favorite is the Rock Chick series by Kristen Ashley. The narrator does a great job giving each of the “chicks” a great and funny personality, I have laughed out load and cried too! The male voices are a bit harder, the only one that I didn’t like 100% was her Lee Nightingale, but let’s be honest, a female doing the most sexy, badass alpha that KA has created would be impossible for anyone!! 🙂

• Elena says:

I can’t wait to check KA’s books out, Stacia. I keep hearing great things about them. When I’ll purchase them, I’ll definitely buy the audiobooks as well, then 🙂 Thanks for the rec!

6. Lisa says:

I read the book first and if I really like the book, I get the audio version and listen to it while on the treadmill. It makes time go by faster.

• Elena says:

Exactly! I completely agree. Listening to audiobooks while on the treadmill is another reason why I love them so much. I do so often myself 😉

7. msdebms says:

I have tried a couple of audio books but just can’t seem to embrace them like some of my bookbuddies. The voices of the characters are just not the ones I imagine in my head. Also, I tend to read faster than the narrators speak so I am continually saying, “Come on guys (or girls), just spit it out”.