Tell Me Something Tuesday: Same Cover, Different Book…

Tell Me Something Tuesday

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion hosted by Rainy Day Ramblings. This week’s question:

If you see a book with the same cover as another, do you feel less inclined or more inclined to read the book?

Less inclined, unfortunately. I know…Don’t judge a book by its cover. But covers are such an important part of the whole business, that, I believe, more attention should be given to it. If there are two different books with the same cover, my first reaction is not good. It puts me off. I am more inclined to pass…Then I might think it over and read the synopsis. But this is my second reaction, which I might have or might not have. This is why I think that, in the book business, first reactions are fundamental and, as I’ve said before, book covers are the first step of the buying process. So, as far as I’m concerned, I’d rather read different books with different covers.

What about you?

🙂

-Elena

About Elena

Literature is my passion. I love reading so much that I spend countless hours in bookstores and libraries. I have a soft spot for poetry and art. I like traveling and discovering new places. I can't do without a book.

6 thoughts on “Tell Me Something Tuesday: Same Cover, Different Book…

1. Gretchen says:

I’m less inclined as well. I find it strange and it makes me not even want to read the synopsis. I also find it weird when I recognize models on the covers of different books because I tend to associate them with the one I originally saw them on.

2. msdebms says:

I agree. I am less inclined to read it as well. It leaves me with the perception that if someone is unoriginal enough to use a cover of another published book, maybe the contents are just as unoriginal.

3. Meem2854 says:

I agree I’m always disappointed when I see a book I enjoyed then its made into a movie and they change the cover to match the movie…:(
    I am a big believer in first impressions and I’ve read some amazing books just because of the cover….

4. puppymom73 says:

This is so funny, a girlfriend of mine and I were just having this conversation. I was looking at books on Amazon and there was a duplicate cover and I was quite put off. I agree with Gretchen, I associate the cover models with characters, so I don’t even want to consider these people as different characters. Plus, it seems lazy on the publishers part. I mean, is there like a photo stock of covers that you can just pick from?

5. kybookworm says:

I agree. The cover is the first impression of the book, and first impressions mean a lot! I actually find, I like covers better, that don’t show the model’s face. The couple on the cover of Emily Snow’s Consumed, have been on at least a dozen books. I love the cover of Tears of Tess. It shows a super hot couple, but no faces. It allows me to give the characters a face from my imagination.

6. Deborah Camp says:

It’s tough for “indies” to choose covers. First, it can be expensive, and second, you can’t please everyone! Mass Market publishers are a different story — they have the funds and the ability to hire actors/models and great artists or photographers to do their covers. I hire cover designers, but they’re dealing mainly with online photo sites and buying the photos there, so if another cover artist buys that shot it can mean that your covers will be out about the same time. I try to get the artist I hired to photoshop and change the photo some or make it look “painterly” so that it can’t be copies verbatim.